Local & independent
We prioritize funding for local and independent organizations, meaning organizations that:
- Are registered as an independent nonprofit (or equivalent) in the countries where they operate
- Comprised of people born and raised in the regions where they work
- Have a functioning local and independent Board
- Have a track record of successful program implementation
- Are trusted by and accountable to community members, traditional leaders and local government
We also prioritize funding to organizations that are women-led or have a clear objective to raise the voices of women within their organization.
Working in countries most in need
We prioritize funding in countries where the needs are most pronounced (based on the Inequality-Adjusted Human Development Index), and within those countries we aim to support the most vulnerable regions. However, we do not fund organizations operating in countries where there are high security threats.
We are funding organizations globally, however, we are prioritizing organizations working in Africa; currently we are funding organizations in Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe
We fund organizations that implement programs focused on rural communities in under-served regions to support them in achieving self-sufficiency and having opportunities to thrive.